Many women fear the idea of becoming “bulky” and “manly” and because of this, avoid ever lifting weights because they believe it will take away their feminine shape.
This is so wrong and it’s a total myth! The women’s body is physically incapable of gaining the amount of muscle a man can. We don’t produce nearly the same amount of testosterone as men do, no matter how much weight we lift! Unless, of course those women are taking some sort of enhancement or hormone to help promote massive muscle growth.
So ladies, stop fearing the weights! Here are 8 reasons why women should lift weights and feel confident in doing so!
- It promotes weight loss: Shocker! Most people think only cardio promotes weight loss and that is false! When you lift weights your body is burning calories during and hours after your workout.
- Curves: Who would’ve thought! This is my favorite reason why I lift weights because I am sculpting my body beautifully. Doing cardio alone, you lose muscle tissue along with body fat, however with strength training you lose body fat and gain muscle, resulting in a beautiful hourglass shape!
- Increased energy: Strength training causes an increase in your energy throughout the day. A study published by the Institute of Health suggest a chronic in energy expenditure, even after a minimal resistance training session.
- Faster metabolism: The more muscles you have the more calories you burn at rest, thats right without doing a thing! Muscles speed up your metabolism. So, that cheat meal won’t feel that bad after all.
- You’ll feel happier: Not even kidding, studies have shown people that perform 3 strength training workouts a week for 6 months significantly improve on anger and overall mood.
- Your heart will be healthier: Researcher at the University of Michigan found that people who did 3 weight workouts a week for 2 months decreased their diastolic blood pressure (which is the bottom number) by an average of eight points! Which reduces your risk of a stroke by 40% and a chance of a heart attack by 15%!
- Improves cognitive function: Building muscles also strengthens your mind as well! Brazilians researchers found people who did resistance training for 6 months improved their long and short term memory, improved verbal reasoning, and a longer attention span.
- Healthier bones: Women are more prone to bone and joint issues as we age. As you build your muscles, you improve your posture for better joint support.
So Ladies get to lifting! Your body and health will thank you (and me) in the long run and you will love the way you feel and look!
For all your fitness inquiries visit http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/women.htm